Identity Theft Information
If you have been a victim of Identity Theft or have had your wallet/purse stolen with valuable information (such as Social Security Cards, Drivers License, Credit/Debit Cards, etc.) the following procedures should be followed:
- Contact your local police department and file a report
- Make sure to get a copy of your police report and/or the case number
- Contact the Department of Public Safety/Department of Motor Vehicles in the state where your license was issued. In Texas, the phone number is 512-424-2600
- Notify all creditors and merchants of your stolen credit cards
- Notify your banks/credit unions
- Contact the Social Security Administration at 800-269-0271
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission to inquire if someone has applied for credit in your name. Call 877-438-4338.
- Notify the U.S Passport Agency at 877-487-2778.
Tips To Protect Your Identity
- Shred all trash that has identifiers and account information.
- Never give information over the telephone or internet unless you initiated the conversation or you know who you’re dealing with.
- Remove extra information from your checks. Make the clerk or cashier ask for identification when your checks are used.
- Check credit history and bank records frequently.
- Minimize the number of credit/debit cards that you carry in the event your wallet or purse is stolen.
- Always take your wallet with you and never leave it in your car.
For additional information and assistance on Fraud and Scams visit the Texas Attorney General’s Office.
Credit Bureau Information
If your identity has been stolen, contact the following credit reporting agencies and request a “fraud alert” be placed on each credit report. Also, request a copy of your free credit report to compare against your own records regarding what accounts may have been opened fraudulently.
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA. 30374
|P.O. Box 105069
Atlanta, GA 30348
800-525-6285.... reporting credit fraud
Major Check Verification Companies
If you have had a check/checkbook stolen or a bank account opened fraudulently, ensure that you place a “stop payment” on any invalid or unauthorized checks, cancel your checking and savings account and obtain new numbers, and also contact the following companies:
Certegy Inc.. 800-437-5120
|To file a complaint regarding mail service:
U.S. Postal Inspection Service
To report income tax fraud:
To report FEMA fraud:
To add your phone number to the Do Not Call List:
National Do Not Call List