AUDITIONS - SWEET CHARITY/LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
The City of Deer Park Parks and Recreation Department and The Art Park Players will be holding combined open auditions for their next two productions of SWEET CHARITY and LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.
Auditions will be held on Tuesday, November 5th beginning promptly at 7pm.
Prepare 32 bars of a musical theatre song in the style of the show. There will be NO accompanist. You must bring a CD with accompaniment, or have a digital file (flash drive/or mobile) provided it is edited and cued correctly. A résumé and 8”×10” headshot is requested, but not required. Please also wear or bring comfortable dance attire, as all who audition will be required to learn a short dance/movement combination.
Bring a list of all potential conflicts including travel, etc. Any conflicts with the posted schedule must be discussed with the Producer and agreed to by the Director before casting can be confirmed. SWEET CHARITY and LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS will be directed by David Eck, musical direction by Alex Musgrove, and technical direction by Joe Piper. LITTLE SHOP will be choreographed by KEITH HERRMANN.
Auditions will be held at the Theatre/Courts Building at 1302 Center Street, Deer Park, TX 77536.
SWEET CHARITY - February 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29 - 2020
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS - April 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26 May 1, 2 - 2020
Rehearsals will begin December 9th (No Rehearsals Dec 23-Jan 1) for SWEET CHARITY and February 24th for LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.
To be considered for all roles, you must be able to commit to all rehearsals during the tech weeks February 3rd - through opening night on February 14th (SWEET CHARITY) and April 6th - through opening night on April 17th.
Please contact David Eck 281-478-2048 if you are unable to make auditions and would like to schedule a private appointment, or have any additional questions. Video submissions are also accepted, though you're strongly encouraged to attend the open call.
ROLES TO BE CAST:
- Charity Hope Valentine (30s-40s): Down-on-her-luck, but always hopeful, dance-hall hostess who dreams of finding true love.
Helene (20s-40s): Sultry and sassy dancer at the Fandango Ballroom and one of Charity's best friends. Mezzo with a ballsy sound and a good dancer.
Nickie (30s-40s): Brassy New Yorker, dancer at the Fandango Ballroom, and Charity's best friend. Mezzo with a strong belt and a good dancer.
Vittorio Vidal (30s-40s): Italian movie star and drop dead gorgeous. Has a way with the ladies and a hot-headed wife, named Ursula. Baritone with an operatic sound.
Oscar Lindquist (30s-40s): A square and claustrophobic accountant with a sweet nature and a gentle touch. Baritone.
Herman (30s-70s): Grizzled and sleezy owner of the Fandango Ballroom, but with a heart of gold. Must be a strong tenor.
Ursula March (20s-40s): Hot headed and jealous wife of Italian movie star, Vittorio Vidal. Has quite a flair for the dramatic. Will double as several roles in Act 2. Must be a strong and versatile comedic actress and a good mover.
Daddy Brubeck (20s-50s): A groovy and hip cat who starts the Rhythm of Life revival church. Think Sammy Davis Jr., if Sammy was a flower child and loved acid. Baritone with serious soul, ability to scat, and a good mover. Strong comedic timing.
Carmen (20s-50s): Brassy dancer at the Fandango Ballroom. Very sarcastic. Good comedic actress. Must be a good dancer.
Rosie (18+): The hot new girl at the Fandango Ballroom. Fresh off the bus, but whip smart and easily corrupted. Must be a good dancer.
Suzanne, Frenchy, Betsy, Elaine (20s-50s): The featured dance hall hostesses at the Fandango Ballroom. All must be strong character actors who can move. A grizzled and tired bunch, working at a dead end job in Times Square. Lots and lots and lots of attitude.
Ensemble Roles (20s-50s): Good comedic character actors/actress' who can play multiple featured roles with ease. Must also be excellent singers and movers who can dance with attitude in a Fosse style. Will play multiple featured characters as well as dance in Big Spender, Rich Man's Frug, Rhythm of Life, and I'm a Brass Band. Ensemble roles include, among others:
Marvin the Fandango Regular
Daddy Brubeck's Assistants
Featured Hostess at the Fandango
Secretary at the 92nd Street YMCA.
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
- Seymour Krelborn (25-35) An insecure, put-upon florist's clerk and eventual hero. He is a genuine, well-meaning man who is taken for granted because of his clumsy ways and poor social skills. Vocal range top: G4/Vocal range bottom: A2
- Audrey (25-35) Bleached-blond, Billie-Dawn-like, secret love of Seymour's life. She has poor self-worth and education, but incredibly good looks and a sweet and vulnerable demeanor. Vocal range top: D5/Vocal range bottom: G#3
- Mr. Mushnik (55-65) The seasoned owner of the failing East Side flower shop and Seymour's nosy boss. He is profit-driven, greedy, and manipulative. Vocal range top: F4/Vocal range bottom: G2
- Orin Scrivello (30-40) An egotistical dentist with a passion for leather and sadistic tendencies. Audrey's abusive boyfriend, who is targeted by Seymour. Vocal range top: G4/Vocal range bottom: G2 Seeking a strong actor with impeccable comedic timing. Ideally this person will also play Bernstein, Snip, Luce and everyone else
- The Plant (Audrey II)
Puppet. An anthropomorphic cross between a Venus flytrap and an avocado, the plant has an appetite for human flesh that is appeased by Seymour. Puppeteer doubles as other sizes of the plant.
Voice Of The Plant
An actor/vocalist located offstage. The voice is that of a conniving, street-smart 'villain.' A funky Rhythm and Blues voice is best. Male or Female. Vocal range top: G4/Vocal range bottom: G2
- Crystal (20-35) Crystal, Ronnette and Chiffon are street urchins, acting as the occasional Greek Chorus. Young, hip, and smart, these girls are the only ones who have a grip on reality. Any ethnicity. Vocal range top: F5/Vocal range bottom: Ab3
- Ronnette (20-35) Crystal, Ronnette and Chiffon are street urchins, acting as the occasional Greek Chorus. Young, hip, and smart, these girls are the only ones who have a grip on reality. Any ethnicity. Vocal range top: F5/Vocal range bottom: Ab3
- Chiffon (20-35)Crystal, Ronnette and Chiffon are street urchins, acting as the occasional Greek Chorus. Young, hip, and smart, these girls are the only ones who have a grip on reality. Any ethnicity. Vocal range top: F5/Vocal range bottom: Ab3
AUDITIONS - FOOTLOOSE THE MUSICAL
Auditions for FOOTLOOSE THE MUSICAL will be on Tuesday, April 21st @ 7pm. Please check beck here closer to the date for more information.
The City of Deer Park is committed to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion. The City of Deer Parks provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetics or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, The City of Deer Park complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.